Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

The Daily And Some Other Thoughts

day 8 1

This one is from memory.  Out for a walk in the bitter cold I saw the scene but it was too cold to take my glove off to open the camera so it’s far from accurate.  Doesn’t really matter as far as I’m concerned, it was kind of fun doing it.

Today I focused on my word…. FOCUS.  When I woke up this morning my first thought was “if you don’t focus on clearing the clutter in your studio you are not going to be able to focus on making art.”  So that is what I did today and I have cleared two surfaces, one being the center workspace which is the largest and had the biggest stack.  I feel pretty good right now because I did stay focused.  See me patting myself on the back.

While clearing I came across something I wrote some time in 2008.

“Insecurity, she barrels in when you’re not looking and gets a grip on you.  She won’t let go; you have to fight her off, push her aside.  It’s okay to be a bully when it comes to facing her because she fights hard and unfairly.  She knows when you’re vulnerable; that’s when she strikes.  She goes directly for those weak spots – your thoughts.  Don’t let her in.  If she’s there creativity can’t get in.  She puts up an invisible wall that creativity sees as a black wall so she goes away.  Creativity is looking for an open mind, receptive to ideas, thoughts and emotions.  Closed minds don’t invite her in.  But all you need is a crack of light and she’ll be there, creativity that is.  She’ll come in and help you fight; she likes to battle insecurity because she knows how much insecurity can hurt and hold you back.  Fight for it, it’s your life.”

I need to remind myself of that every now and then.

3 comments:

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Forgot, you can see others over on Leslie's blog http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice memory sketch. Glad you were able to focus and do some needed straightening!!

Jo Castillo said...

Great sketch and great post. Good reminders for focus and insecurity.