Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Day 27 Is In My Sketchbook

And I should have taken a bigger sketchbook, my subject didn’t fit the page and I didn’t want to do it any smaller. We sketched at the Historical Museum today.   I’m not a medical person and I was on my way to a different display when this object in the medical display stopped me. I was attracted to the color and shape, not the object itself 

day 27

However, for those of you who are interested, it’s a hand operated carbolic sprayer.  Joseph Lister is considered the father of modern day sterilization according the what card next to this said.  He chose carbolic acid as a way to kill germs in operating rooms and introduced the hand operated carbolic sprayer in 1870.  His contemporaries considered him a quack;  however, in 1871 he used in when operating on Queen Victoria successfully and it became accepted.

Next week we’re going back to the museum; perhaps I’ll make it to the exhibit I had planned to get to.

1 comment:

Joan Tavolott said...

I can see why its interesting shape attracted you! Nice!!