Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Arches Always Get Me…

 

wde 10 4 arches maureen

I love wetcanvas.com.  It’s a website with all kinds of information for artists but my favorite thing is the WDE, Weekend Drawing Event.  Artists from around the world participate and share images so I can travel to places I may never see in person.  Every weekend one of the participating artists posts 15 or 16 images and the rest of us pick one and hope to get it done in two hours. 

I haven’t had an opportunity to participate as much as I like to but this weekend I did.  While watching a very good football game (in spite of the outcome) I did a drawing of Tintern Abbey ruins (13th cent.) in South Wales.  I may never get back to the UK but this image reminded me of our trip there more than 20 years ago.  At that time we visited Holy Island and the ruins there are similar. I have done several paintings and drawings with a similar theme, part of an ongoing Sacred Spaces series.  This is graphite in a 9x12 sketchbook that I think I’m going to dedicate to WDEs.  This is the first sketch in the book.

1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

This is really lovely. Your sketchbook will be very interesting when complete!