Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2014

A Red Challenge

wde 10 17 light

I picked this image from this week’s Weekend Drawing Event challenge over at wetcanvas.  If there’s a water related image that will usually be my choice.

I mentioned in an earlier post that we lost Deano, a friend that always participated in the WDEs.  He always included a bit of red somehow into his paintings so the challenge this week was to include red into our own.  Since there was red in the lighthouse that didn’t seem to me to be in the spirit of the challenge.  Deano painted in oils and acrylics which means working dark to light.  With watercolor one works light to dark.  Red isn’t considered a light but I figured I would give it a try anyway.  This is how that dark started.

wde red 10 17

I had to do several washes of green over it to cover the red but I like the end result.  A bit of the red shows through which warms the background.  I think Deano would have liked the result too.

1 comment:

Joan Tavolott said...

Glad you challenged yourself and added a bit of red like Deano would. I haven't been over to the WDE in quite a while and didn't know he was gone.